SIMON LEUNG'S INTERNET MARKETING AND AFFILIATE MARKETING POWER BLOG!


« Home | Wholesale Product Websites » | Leaving PPC Behind for Now » | All Work and No...Work... » | And We're Back In » | It's a Whole New Ball Game » | Not Quite the Right Time » | Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life... » 

Thursday, December 09, 2004 

Selling Wholesale Products is No Fun

Somebody please shoot me!

I think I made a terrible mistake doing this. I'll start from the beginning.

So I got those 2 websites, right? These were ready-made websites all ready to go. All I had to do was promote them.

However, I couldn't use AdWords or any of its competitors. My search engine optimization skills aren't exactly up to par, either. How else can I get traffic? I honestly did not know. I did some research, but quickly got confused and could not find a correlation to get viral marketing techniques to work for my product.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I decided to simply take the products individually and sell them one by one. I began listing these items on eBay and Amazon. At first, I had a hard time selling. And then one day...

BAM - a bunch of bulk orders, many of which are for the same product! I was stoked - that is, until I contacted my supplier and they were SOLD OUT! I checked with another dropshipper - BACKORDERED! What the heck was I supposed to do?!

It was a NIGHTMARE! I had to deal with angry customers, whipping around all kinds of threats. I then had to search for the product myself on eBay from other sellers just to get the product. Of course, this was yet another hurdle. I would already be shrinking my profit, and in some cases actually lose money, by buying from other sellers. However, I did it anyway...

And then, the seller contacts me and says that his supplier has run out ALSO! OH MY GOSH...

Basically, I ran around for several days in a crazy panic. Other problems arose, including that the products were getting shipped late by the dropshippers, items getting damaged, sent to wrong addresses, order cancellations, refund requests, complaint escalations, you name it. It was just a complete DISASTER, and continues to be...

I still have a ton of listings left, too, and a lot of pending issues to take care of. It might take me another several days to finally clean this mess up, but when I do, I'm DONE!